Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Crash Bang and a Big Bad Boom-ah-lah

You'd think that I'd learn after living in The Land of Thunderstorms for so long, but one gets complacent when one has a ginormous generator that immediately switches on when all the "small people" lose power and must sit sweating and miserable while their frozen food slowly melts.

One must remember that in that split second between loss of power and switchover to generator a little thing called a POWER SURGE flashes through outlets and surge protectors and--NOW LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY--if you didn't unplug your computer . . . IT WILL DIE.

Which is why I've been absent for several days.  You might have thought it was because I was frolicking in the surf over at the condo (and yes, they're letting people frolic in the water in Florida, just not in Alabama).  Well, no.  I don't frolic anywhere where everyone is supposed to wear the crime against nature known as a swimming suit.  Had I been able to attend Mick's party I MIGHT have frolicked there, though, since I would've been wearing a dress or rolled-up jeans--from the look of the photos I've seen so far it looks like a MAJOR amount of fun was being had at the 'blanca.  Damn it.

Happy note: the post office decided to deliver the box of replacement glass (remember all the broken Fenton milk glass?) at long last and everything was well-wrapped, cushioned and totally intact.  Photos to follow.

It's supposed to rain all day today.  Woo hoo!  Driving on the interstate in pouring rain!  With thunder!  And lightening!  And hail, even!  Throw in a whole bunch of tourists who've never driven in that kind of weather plus several locals who have driven in it all their lives but STILL panic, and you've got one helluva recipe for TOTAL INTERSTATE SHUTDOWN.  Oh, and don't let me forget the 18-wheelers going ninety for nothing, spewing water everywhere and making it impossible to see even with the wipers going at full speed.

Just kinda makes you want to crawl back into bed . . .

12 comments:

  1. I'm in Florida, too. I left work early to enjoy the Summer Solstice twilight. Instead, POURING RAIN/THUNDER/LIGHTENING. And my normally 20 minute drive home became a 2 hour drive.

    Oh yes, I feel your pain. And hope the damn 18-wheelers going 90 for nothing crash into a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes! be careful!

    Glad yer glass got there safe and sound. Yea!!

    Folks go nuts out here when it rains, you remember, Christine. Since it only rains like 10 days out of the year, people go crazy!!

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I wished you could have come! I talked about you, and Deb and Nick all weekend! But your ALWAYS welcome to visit the Casablanca :) Lets start planning now, and maybe you can catch the next big party in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl I am so glad your glass arrived intact. I hate that the 'power surge' got your computer...darn it! (read between the lines). Take care and I wish I could have gone to Mick's also. Maybe next time we can all meet there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your frozen food doesn't melt what excuse can you ever have for eating a tub of ice cream? Maybe use the "its too wet to go outside" excuse and pull up the Ben and Jerry's! That's what I'd do ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Amber, grab the tub of ice cream and head back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was getting ready to mount a search party for you. Now we just have to find Ms. Chicken. I used to want to live where you guys do, but with those storms...no thanks!

    Bed is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scary thing is that those 18 wheelers won't even feel it when they run over you! And I thought those surge protectors were for just that sort of thing. Holy false sense of protection! It's only the very very beginning of storm season too....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wondered where you were! Yes, watch those power surges...don't have many here but it's always good to be prepared.When not in use, the computer is shut down completely with no chance of a surge affecting it.....I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! You bought a condo...in Florida??? I didn't know we had those here!! :O} Oh, and welcome to "Hell On Wheels" AKA driving a Florida Interstate during a rainstorm! NOT for the faint of heart! Welcome to the Sunshine State, or as it's affectionately called by all who know & love it...Flori-DUH!!! Have a happy week *elaine*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yeah, a rootin tootin thunderstorm, gotta love em. Especially the stupid drivers who think they can drive like an ice-road trucker on a four lane covered in water up to their rims. Glad you got your computer fixed and are back in the blogosphere...love reading!!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be careful, and I am happy to hear abotu your replacement glass.

    ReplyDelete