Thursday, May 13, 2010

Huzzah! I'm A Celebrity At Two Dog Pond!

I didn't win last week at Two Dog Pond's pendant contest (and not because I took umbrage at a TEA PARTY comment--I won't go into it except to say that conservatives don't have a lock on patriotism) but I loved the vintage Lady Liberty image and the winning caption so I purchased two pendants.  Rachel has made several personalized pendants for me and she also makes some really beautiful necklaces and bracelets.

I bought two pendants since I am going to give one to my very dear friend Nana Anna who is about as conservative as I am liberal but amazingly, we're the best of friends!  We just don't talk about politics or religion and we're good.  Last weekend we went to a bead show in Slidell and I bought some beautiful dark blue and dark red faceted crystals--and yesterday I strung them, along with cultured pearls and silverplated beads, into this necklace:

Here's a closeup of the amazing pendant she made:

I sent these pictures to Rachel to show her what I'd done and she posted them on her blog!  I'm famous!!

Since I'm showing jewelry, what the hell, here are some other necklaces I've made.
Turquoise nuggets and gold beads.  I get a lot of compliments on this necklace undoubtedly due to the fact that people are impressed to see all the turquoise.  Then stupid me immediately says, "Oh, it's fake.  It's 'reconstituted' turquoise."  Except I don't correct some people who are acting all like they're turquoise experts.  Dolts.  (PS--reconstituted turquoise, like reconstituted amber, isn't really fake.  The material is real, it's just been fashioned into beads or nuggets from chips and powder).


This one is aventurine and faceted copper beads.  The pendant is from a deconstructed Mississippi-themed bracelet given to me several years ago.  It's our state flower, the magnolia.  The bracelet was made by an amazing artisan, Michel Milleur.  Some of the other charms were a catfish, a pelican (which is actually Louisiana's state bird but they sneak over to Mississippi occasionally), a cotton boll, the Biloxi lighthouse, etc. 


Even before THE SAINTS WON THE SUPER BOWL I was making Saints jewelry.  You put a fleur de lis on just about anything down here and people start gettin' da vapahs.


I love the combination of amber and pearls.  The sterling and amber pendant is handmade and signed by the artist.  (The little shell is great lagniappe).

And of course I made a pair of matching earrings to go with all the necklaces.  And then I wear them with a t-shirt and jeans since I never get dressed up any more.  Sigh.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats! They are gorgeous. And PS--you piqued my curiosity, so I followed the link and just had to track down your comment. Very nice. I'm putting that one in my back pocket for future use!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, those are really gorgeous! I would have never thought to re purpose pcs of jewelry (like your magnolia flower) & I pretty much re-use everything :) Such a great idea!

    I really LOVE that turquoise one the best, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!

    I used to make a lot of my own jewelry as well, recycling charms and beads and such. Isn't it fun?

    Yours are scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You talented Lady you! Gorgeous jewelry!! Now I'm curious about the 'comment' might have to find that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I comment on a celebrity blog, yay! :D These necklaces are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to have found you - great blog title. Nice to "meet" you - I'll be back.
    Best,
    Colleen
    PS I'm a liberal too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the jewelry! And I just now saw the Killer Klowns link on the side!! :) Can you believe my mom let us watch that...not only that f'ed up movie...but It too! So funny!! Gotta love that Sue :) Love you Gogie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Nice, Very Nice! All great pieces, and combo's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I not know you had this talent? You have made some beautiful necklaces!

    I just visited Rachel's blog. She is hosting a sale to raise money for a friend's child who needs hearing aides. The cost has overwhelmed the family. I had to go to her etsy site and was forced to buy one of her necklaces! She didn't have to twist my arm too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wit, humor and a talented jewelry maker! Girl, you have got it going on. I too followed the link to see your comment. Loved it. Think I'll go have a cup of joe now. You are too funny.

    ReplyDelete