Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve 1944, er, 2010

Herewith, a grab bag of photos.  Enjoy!

Shortly after I met Mike in 1988 in San Diego, my friend Andra and I decided we wanted to attend a big party downtown with a WWII theme, so we hit the thrift stores and found incredible outfits (I even put my long hair in a snood).  Mike had gotten out of the Navy just a year earlier so his uniform still fit.  Here's me and my sailor boy!  Also shortly after I met Mike, both of us started packing the pounds back on since neither of us are, um, svelte.  Sigh.


 BabyVintageChristine, birthday girl!


 Dad with his sisters Audrey and Shirl.  As you know, Dad's still going strong but both his sisters have passed.  This photo was taken at a family reunion in New Mexico where Shirley lived, probably in the 80's.   Speaking of dear ole Dad, I'll be making an announcement soon about something FUN involving him and all you ladies (and gents) who love him.  Stay tuned!


 My mother, 2007.


 I haven't written much about Mike's side of the family but as you can see, his dad is pretty much up for anything!  This is the "stripper" who surprised the heck out of him and Mike's mom, Jo, at their 50th wedding anniversary party in 2008.  There was also a male "stripper" for Jo.  Believe me, when these two incredibly fat and ugly entertainers first appeared, everyone who wasn't in on the joke just about threw up!  It was
all masks and padding, though.  Whew!


 Photo taken earlier this year on one of our horribly hot and humid summer days.  The dogs spend most of their time recovering from being outside for 10 seconds. 

I'd just like to thank California (oh yes indeedy I'm being sarcastic!) for sending ALL THIS FREAKING RAIN to us today.  I realize that everyone north of us is having to deal with blizzard conditions but it is no fun being in a monsoon, either.  We'll be launching the yacht (snark snark) later to go to Cousin Gwen's for a quiet New Year's Eve and sleepover.  

Have a safe, sane and, above all, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

13 comments:

  1. I love the picture of you and Mike all dolled up and ready for a night on the town. Great family shots too! Oh about that rain...sorry. It's sunny today here and I can hardly stand it. Very cold though. What a weird winter it's been and we're barely into it. Can't wait to hear what you have in store for us (involving your dad). Did you deliver that big old kiss to him? It's New Years Eve ya know. Hope you have a fun time at your sleepover. Happy New Year friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo! You look like my aunt in that first one. Have a great New Years Eve and a wonderful 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures, Chris. I just love looking at everyone's vintage photos!

    I am loving this incredible weather! A week after Christmas and we hit 71 degrees! Last night we had a thunderstorm! If the rest of the winter were this mild, I could make it until spring. We'll probably get 12 inches of heavy wet snow over spring break as pay back, though.

    Happy new Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, that's one good looking couple up there! You'd never know she drank herself sick on Champale right after the photo was taken!

    Ha, ha, today we have SUN! We Californians made sure we got a couple of nice days before we had to head back to work.

    Happy New Year my friend...and hopefully my package of "stuff" to you will be sent soon...I'm so g-d lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you! I am spending a quiet evening home this year! Am I getting old? Oh Hell yes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, when you go vintage, you go vintage!! Great look and is so real looking. No wonder you are so good at what you do.....you live and breathe vintage.

    Happy New Year Christine to you and yours and have a great time tonight.
    I think my Dad would have a heart attack if we got a stripper for him on his 95th this year!!!
    But an idea non-the-less.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy seeing your vintage pics especially those of your dad. He sounds like such a hoot. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow look at you all dressed up and pretty! And Mike has brown hair, tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year my friend! Your VintageChristine photo is as glamorous as your CowgirlChristine is fabulous. You should be VersatileChristine since you can rock any look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the family photos! You & Mike are an adorable couple - what fabulous 40's outfit and snood!

    So sorry about all your rain. I've been dealing with tons of snow here in Minnesota...but I think I do prefer that to depressing rain...

    But cheerier weather is sure to be on its way soon! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're gorgeous! Makes me remember when I actually looked good in my vintage stuff!! lol
    Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mom is so awesome on that hog! Happy New year to you too! :-)

    ReplyDelete