Monday, February 15, 2010

Girlfriends, This Is A Drag Race I Can Watch!

I am NOT a NASCAR fan.  All that dirt and exhaust and waaaaay too many rednecks.  Yuck!  However, I am absolutely addicted to RuPaul's Drag Race on LOGO (it's on tonight, Episode Three of Season 2).  I do not watch this with my husband, who prefers watching the Military Channel or the History Channel, although he has been known to sit through The United States of Ant (hilarious), but then again, who could NOT enjoy that little guy?  The celebrity guest on the first Season 2 episode was Kathy Griffin, a woman known for loving her gays.  But OH MY GOD--last week's guest judge was none other than the FABULOUS Miss Dita Von Teese. 

Here's my choice for the winner of Season Two:  Sonique!  And she's a Southern girl, too!

I have a special spot in my heart for drag queens--when I worked at Project Lazarus in New Orleans (an AIDS hospice run in part by the Archdiocese of New Orleans, for goodness sake!) my secretary's name was Jason, but on the weekends he put on the makeup, high heels and gown and became LYDIA. 

Of course RuPaul's Drag Race has nothing whatsoever to do with vintage or retro or mid-century but it IS one hell of a great show!  I can't wait for tonight's episode!

6 comments:

  1. OMG, girl, I thought that was only my guilty pleasure, LOL! That show is a hoot! Wouldn't it be cool if they did have an all retro drag show some day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across that show recently and could not pull myself away!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Chris, time to confess. You are a drag queen in a tattooed body and you weren't planning on telling me until I figured it out in Birmingham.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god, I love that show dearly. My friends and I watch it obsessively.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, too much drama in Drag Queen world. Much more fun to watch NASCAR and see cars being wrecked.

    Wait!! Let's combine them!! Drag Queens driving NASCAR!! YEAH!!!
    __
    Barbara
    http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ru Paul.. is there a greater drag queen? I have an old video somewhere on my blog from when he was first coming up. I think he was in the B-52's "Love shack" video as well. Remember his top 40 hit "Super Model"?

    ReplyDelete