Friday, January 29, 2010

Beautiful, Breakable Treasures

As clumsy as I am, I guess it's inevitable that my collecting desires would veer towards glass and pottery, things that slip through my fingers with an almost alive sense of purpose.  And if I don't break something, there's always my husband or his friends to do it for me.  However, that being said, I just can't help myself when I see this kind of estate auction ad: "Gigantic Heisey Glass estate sale.  Items belonged to former Heisey Glass collector."  Or: "Estate Auction featuring items stored in basement since 1932!" 

The Heisey estate sale turned out to be an incredible bonanza, considering I went on Day Two.  When I was told I could take 50% off the marked prices, I lost all my self-control and started carrying so much stuff to the check-out table that they started laughing at me.  WHO CARES?!  Here are two of the many things I bought, and it wasn't just all Heisey.

Heisey "Ridgeleigh" lidded candy dish with attached brass floral overlay on lid. 

I couldn't believe it when I saw this rose-colored glass lidded dish just sitting there waiting for me to snatch it up, although it had a long "Magic Marker" line on one side.  I knew it would come off with "Magic Eraser", and it did, magically.  Everyone thinks it's Fenton although it's unmarked and I've been unable to find anything similar in the books or on the internet.  And yes, I realize that's an oddly shaped lid . . .

Here are a few of the many items I bought at the recent estate auction in Florida.  First, two beautiful Stangl pottery dishes.  I'm not a Stangl collector and these will probably go into the antique mall booth once I get a line on their value.

There were several antique oil lamps at the auction, including what I'm positive was a Heisey "Greek Key" lamp.  The reserve was $90 and I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for something I don't collect.  But god, it was GORGEOUS.  Actually, though, I'm just as happy with this sweet lamp and it was less than half the price of the Heisey.  PS--I love the previously-obtained Hazel-Atlas serving bowl with metal stand behind the lamp, too.

When I saw the two lots of Hazel-Atlas Moderntone Platonite glassware I really had to restrain myself from screaming "THOSE ARE MINE!  DON'T YOU DARE BID ON THEM!"  In one lot were what I eventually purchased--the 6 sherbet bowls, sugar & creamer, fridge dish, and milk pitcher are shown here and I also got salt & pepper shakers AND a sugar shaker, all with original metal tops.  Another lot included plates and cups & saucers but I was really only interested in the kitchenware stuff.  I have no idea why they added in the sherbet bowls but that's certainly ok.  The elegant Fenton milk glass hobnail epergne was purchased separately this same weekend at an estate sale. 
 About the word "epergne".  I live in the South, where people make a habit of pronouncing words incorrectly, particularly words that originated in other countries.  Even New Orleanians are guilty of this.  "Epergne" is pronounced "EEE-pern" here.  IT FREAKING DRIVES ME UP THE WALL!  It's a French word and it's pronounced "eh-PURN".  Of course, these are the same people who caused my sister to go ballistic when they were telling her about their amazing dog who, when he wanted to go outside, would "rang a BAY-ell" to do so.  Only a Yankee would ignore the fact that a dog could do something like that and instead obsess over the pronunciation of "bell".

OK--Christine will now gracefully fall off her soapbox, get dressed, and face the day.    

10 comments:

  1. It's so hard to resist collecting everything, isn't it!?
    I love the Hazel Atlas glassware, it's really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Christine! Dont send that turquoise dish to the antique booth! What do I need to do to obtain it?! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you not resist a sale that has the line "stored in the basement since 1932"....
    fun finds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We visited my husband's best friend in Kentucky several years ago. The main road is called Versailles, ya know, like the French palace outside of Paris. All the locals pronounce it "Vare-sales". I wanted to kill someone.
    Thanks for being a loyal and funny member of OGTP!
    xo
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful finds. I love that pink candy dish. Very Unique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an eh-PURN just like the one you have. I love it. I have never used it for anything, but just like the way it looks. The prettiest one I ever saw was in a blue milk glass.

    Love your lantern. The red just makes it so pretty an unique. At the auction I went to last weekend, they had about 10 lanterns with the inside threads. They went for $1 each. I was stunned!

    As for your pink candy dish, I have one word for you...penile!

    FUN! FUN! Fun!

    Anna

    PS The snow started about 30 minutes ago. The ground is already covered. The weathermen are calling for 8 to 12 inches with lots of ice. The generator is ready!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Those are wonderful! I'm terrified of glass things, I'm always convinced I'm going to drop them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds Christine. Again...wishing I lived closer so I could tag along with you to all those cool estate sales and thrift stores. And......wowowowow, you've hit 49 followers as of right now and I know next time I pop over, you're going to be at the BIG 50!!!!! Think I'll just sit here and see if I can catch it when it turns to 50.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am never sure whether if I say something, I am going to offend the sensibility of your gentle readers. However, I am delighted to know that yes indeed you are aware of the odd shape of the pink lid... So it is NOT just me. Thank you very much. ;-)

    p.s. I am not an Internet troll...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I WAS amazed at what the dog could do.........the story was just kind of spoiled by the slaying of the words she used to tell it!! It was actually, "He rang the bay-ell at the doh-er"..........and she said it over and over. PLUS, she has a very high, whiney voice and a lisp and she talks real fast! (I really don't make fun of EVERYONE.)

    ReplyDelete