Friday, December 25, 2009

Hey, Yo, It's A Wonderful Life, Ford Fairlane!






(Just wait, there's really a connection between these two movies).

Last night they were showing "It's A Wonderful Life" for the umpteenth millionth time--I actually own the movie but there's just something retro about watching a movie with commercials, even when the husband is known around these parts as The Fastest Muter In The South.  (I have strict instructions that he is NOT to  mute the new Wendy's commercial with those DARLING teeny weeny fast food burgers, fries and drink.  Have you seen it?  It's killer).

First amazing fact:  this was the very first time my 49 year old hubby had seen "It's A Wonderful Life"! 

Second amazing fact:  he liked it!

Third amazing fact:  During the scene when George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart) goes up to Zuzu's bedroom after she'd come home from school ill, they're discussing why she's sick.  Mary (Donna Reed) had told him that she'd been given a flower at school and hadn't buttoned up her coat so as not to crush the flower.  OK, if I'm not getting this exactly right, EXCUUUUUUSE ME.  I was drinking wine, alright?  Anyway, a couple of the flower petals fell off and George offered to stick them back on.  Unbeknownst to his little girl with her braids pinned up on top of her head, affording her one of moviedom's oddest hairdoes, he instead puts Zuzu's petals in his pocket.  Now here's the amazing fact:  Husband watches this scene and exclaims, "Hey! Zuzu petals!"  And then gives me that John-Belushi-as-Bluto-"what's that from?"-look:

and when I say my usual "Whaa?" he says, "Zuzu Petals!  From Ford Fairlane!"

Amazing.

5 comments:

  1. How many degrees of separation is that? Jimmy Stewart to Andrew Dice Clay? I'm amazed that he could quote Ford Fairlane. I bet they have never been connected in that way before! Ya'll are brilliant!

    Merry Christmas!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband had never seen It's a Wonderful Life? How is that even possible?! :D

    And that Wendy's ad is really cute. I kind of want to try the itty bitty burger and fries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watched again last night too, with same muting by husband. They are all the same! Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I never would have made the connection. BTW..love the new look. New Years greetings to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen it in it's entirety - just bits and pieces... ahhh... 'someday'. The town adjacent to where we live (Seneca Falls) lays claim to being the inspiration for 'Bedford Falls' and the whole story of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. Around these parts all of the locals, who aren't from S.F., REALLY hate the whole things!! S.F. has a 'Wonderful Life' festival in December, they have even named a hotel (Clarence) and a cafe (Zu Zu's) after the movie! I'm a transplant to this region of New York State, so I find the whole thing amuzing!!

    ReplyDelete